The interior paint job is one of the most important features of your home decorating scheme, and it is also one of the most overlooked and under-appreciated. Although it is primarily important to maintain the condition of your interior paint jobs to protect your walls and ceilings, the way your surfaces are painted can go a long way toward establishing the look of your house. You can apply a textured ceiling paint in bedrooms or living rooms to add variety to your decorating scheme.
Things you need
Acrylic latex primer
Looped texture painting roller
Short-nap painting roller
Angled nylon painter's brush
Interior latex paint
Long roller handle
Plastic sheeting (optional)
Remove all furniture from the room, or move it away from the walls and corners and cover it well with plastic sheeting. Cover the floor with dust sheets.
Remove any peeling or chipped areas on the ceiling with your five-in-one tool. If your ceiling is stained, wash it with a bleach-and-water mixture -- one capful of bleach per 4.5 litres (1 gallon) of water, and allow it to dry.
Fill in any cracks or dents with spackle, smoothing the spackle over the area with a spackling knife. Allow to dry for 30 minutes, and sand the repair with fine sandpaper. Prime any spackled areas with a coat of acrylic latex primer, and allow to dry for two hours.
Paint the border and trim areas of your ceiling by hand with an angled painter's brush. Paint at least 10 cm (4 inches) out from corners, fans, lighting fixtures and walls.
Apply a thin coat of paint with the short-nap roller, using the roller extension pole. Allow to dry for 15 minutes.
Apply a decorative paint layer with the looped texture roller, again using the roller extension pole. Apply this layer slowly, using moderate pressure on the roller. Work in small sections -- no more than 0.37 square metres (4 square feet), blending each section with the next section while the paint is still wet.
- Do not apply latex paint if ambient temperature is below 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit). Stir paint well before applying, and re-stir occasionally while working. Avoid matt paint styles for painting ceilings.
Tips and Warnings
- Do not apply latex paint if ambient temperature is below 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Stir paint well before applying, and re-stir occasionally while working.
- Avoid matt paint styles for painting ceilings.
Things you need
- Large sponge
- Bleach (optional)
- Fine sandpaper
- Five-in-one tool
- Spackling knife
- Acrylic latex primer
- Looped texture painting roller
- Short-nap painting roller
- Angled nylon painter's brush
- Interior latex paint
- Long roller handle
- Roller pans
- Dust sheets
- Plastic sheeting (optional)