A grapevine tree is a beautiful addition to any Christmas decor. Grapevine tree frames are not limited to the height of a tomato cage but, instead, can be made as tall as 5-foot when a hall tree is used. The condition of the hall tree is not important since it will be covered; it simply needs to be structurally sound. Chicken wire creates the skeleton which the wild grapevine will wrap around to create the tree. Once completed, this grapevine tree can be decorated for Christmas by adding lights and decorations such as red berries, ribbons or ornaments.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wooden hall tree
- Hand saw
- Screw driver
- Measuring tape
- 1 roll of 24-inch chicken wire cut into a 5-foot-6-inch length
- Wild grapevine
- 22-gauge electrical wire
- Wire cutters
- LED lights
- Embellishments of choice such as small ornaments
Remove brackets off the top of the hall tree with a hand saw or screwdriver.
Unroll chicken wire, and wrap it around the hall tree. Crimp the ends of the chicken wire together, forming a seam all the way to the top.
Place grapevine in a bucket of water if dried and brittle, and soak for 15 minutes. Remove from water, and begin to wrap it around the chicken wire frame starting at the bottom.
Add a new piece of grapevine by weaving the end into the chicken wire, and begin to wrap again. Continue wrapping the grapevine around the chicken wire frame until the top is reached. Once the top is reached, cut off the grapevine, and fold the end back into itself.
Wrap LED lights around the grapevine tree, and secure with copper wire if needed. Add embellishments as desired.
Tips and warnings
- Grapevine trees can become a year-round decoration by simply changing the embellishments. In the fall, artificial leaves can be strung onto the tree. Flower garland can be used to bring the grapevine tree into the spring and summer season.
- Different colours of cellophane can also be tucked behind the grapevine for seasonal colour.
- If using green grapevine, remove leaves before wrapping it around the form.
- Pre-made grapevine wreaths can be dismantled and used instead of wild grapevine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for