A BMX starting gate is a device at the beginning of a BMX race that holds the racers back until the race begins when a race official allows the gate to drop. A practice starting gate is an excellent way to learn what the people at Kearny Moto BMX call "snapping out of the gate." A simple wooden gate mechanism is an inexpensive and easily built practice starting gate. A BMX starting gate is typically a two-man operation where the rider balances his front tire against the gate while an official releases the gate. This practice BMX starting gate will require two people to operate.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- One 30 by 60 by 1 1/2 inch board
- One 30-inch-long 4 by 4 board
- Drill with 3/16-inch wood bit
- One box #10 2 1/2-inch-long Phillips head wood screws with flat heads
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Two 6-inch metal hinges that use attachment screws with flat (even with the surface) heads that swivel 180 degrees
- One box #10 3/4-inch-long Phillips head wood screws with flat heads
- One 30-inch-long 2 by 8 board
- One wooden stake
- One 5-pound hammer
Place the 30-inch by 60-inch board on the 4 by 4 piece of wood. Line its edges up evenly, with the board one foot from either end of the large rectangular board.
Drill guide holes through the 30- by 60-inch board and into the 4 by 4 under it.
Screw 2-1/2-inch-long wood screws through the rectangular board and into the 4 by 4 under it.
Attach one side of the hinges to the opposite end from the 4 by 4 on the top of the board with wood screws. The 4 by 4 is attached to the bottom of the board. First, mark the location of the hinge attachment holes with the pencil.
Drill 1/2-inch-long guide holes through the marks. Do not pierce the entire wood surface.
Screw 3/4-inch-long wood screws through the hinge attachment points and into the guide holes.
Lay the 2 by 8 board in front of the hinged edge lengthwise so the edges line up with the edges of the rectangular board.
Set the unattached hinge side on top of the 2 by 8 board.
Repeat steps 5 and 6 to attach the hinge to the 2 by 8 board.
Raise the gate up.
Pound a wooden stake in the ground in front of the gate roughly 6 inches from either corner.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for