How to Fill Out Chinese Visa Applications

Updated June 15, 2017

The most common visa for entry into China is the "L" or tourist visa. As the name implies, the L-Visa is mainly used by people temporarily travelling to China for touring or vacation. Additionally, L-Visas are used by people travelling to China to visit family or friends or attend an event, such as the Beijing Olympics of the Shanghai World Expo. An L-Visa is available in a single-entry, double-entry and multiple-entry option with a duration of each stay ranging from 30 to 90 days.

Fill in Section 1 (Information About Yourself) completely. Be as thorough as possible. Remember to include your passport number, date and place of issue and its expiration date. You will not be granted a visa if there is less than six months of validity and at least one full blank page. Include your Chinese name if you have one.

Complete Section 2 (Your Visit to China). Indicate the number of entries into China that you plan to make with this particular visa. If you want or need the visa urgently, check the appropriate box in this section for either express service (two to three business days) or rush service (one working day).

Fill in Section 3 (Your Health Condition and Previous Overseas Tour). Be as thorough as you can. Including an explanation of your circumstances is appropriate.

Fill in Section 4 (Your Contacts Information). Answer Questions 4.1 to 4.6 using your contact information in the U.S. (or home country). Answer Question 4.7 to 4.10 using information in China. If you don't have a contact in China, use your hotel information. Importantly, if you list a hotel in this section, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will have to stay at that particular hotel. Changing your hotel after you turn in your application will not effect whether or not you get a visa.

Complete Section 5 (Other Declaration) if there is any further information that you feel would be important to your visa application. For example, you need a multiple-entry visa because you are planning on attending a series of business conferences that will be held from January to June. If you have no further relevant information, leave Section 5 blank or write "none" in the space provided.

Complete Section 6 (Application Form Completed by Another Person) only if the application was completed by someone other than yourself, such as a translator.

Read Section 7. Sign and date the form at the bottom of the section. If you are under the age of 18, you and your parent or legal guardian must sign the form.


When filling in the application, use blue or black ink or complete the form on a computer and print it out. All other means to fill in the application will result in its rejection by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Marcello Viridis has been "working in writing" for the past six years. Since publishing his first article in 2004, he has written on a range topics from working and living overseas for the Wall Street Journal's Black Collegian website to legal essays for the Encyclopedia of American Civil Liberties. Viridis has a B.A. from Pomona College and a J.D. from Lewis and Clark Law School.