There are many different ways to reduce the amount of telemarketers calling your home telephone. You could individually block each number; however, this is ineffective, as one company may have hundreds of phone numbers. The most effective way to put an end to sales calls is to register your telephone number to be included in the National Do Not Call Registry, which you can do online or by calling. This makes it illegal for telemarketers to call those registered and can even lead to hefty fines in the millions of dollars for violators.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Telephone number
- Internet connection
To place your phone number on the registry online, go to the National Do Not Call website (see Resources).
Click "Register Now."
Enter up to three telephone numbers and your e-mail address. Confirm that your e-mail address has been entered correctly and click "Submit."
Click "Register" after verifying that your information is correct in the confirmation window.
Check your e-mail. An e-mail will be sent to you with a link to complete your registration. Click on the link within the email to complete the registration. Once the browser loads, you will see a confirmation message that you have been registered for the National Do Not Call Registry. In the future, whenever a sales person calls you, inform her that your telephone number has been registered on the National Do Not Call Registry and that you do not wish to receive phone calls from the company. The telemarketer must remove you from the company's list.
Call The National Do Not Call Registry automated hotline from the phone number that you would like to register. The telephone number is 888-382-1222.
Press 1 for English when prompted, or 2 for Spanish. Another number is given for the hearing-impaired.
Press 1 to register your phone number when prompted.
Enter the 10-digit phone number that you would like to register. It is not necessary to press "#" or "*" after entering the phone number. After entering the phone number, the automated system will inform you that the registration is complete and the call will end.
Tips and warnings
- It may take up to 31 days for telemarketers to remove you from their calling list. If you continue to receive telephone solicitations, be sure to note the time and date of each call. You can file a complaint on the National Do Not Call Registry's home page if the calls continue beyond the 31-day registration period.
- Another method of blocking sales calls is to enable Anonymous Call Rejection (ACR). This service prevents numbers that withhold their caller ID information from calling you. Each telephone provider will have a different method of doing this, so contact your telephone service provider for details on how to enable this feature.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for