Toolbox chests are available in various configurations. Some are mounted behind the cab, others along the side of the truck bed and others over the wheel wells. Some manufacturer's tool boxes for trucks have been given names such as saddle boxes, high side boxes, pork chop boxes, cross boxes, low side boxes and all-purpose chests. Truck tool boxes offer convenient and secure ways to transport tools.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Saddle box
- Four 5/16-18 by 2 1/4-inch hex head bolts
- Level holder brackets
- Four bumper washers
- Two rubber mounting pads
- Four mounting clamps
- Tape measure
- 1/2-inch ratchet wrench
Park the truck on level ground; a level truck is necessary to properly install the tool box and for safety reasons. The tool box can slide during installation and a level truck will help keep the box from slipping.
Place rubber mounting pads on the bed rails. The pads will provide cushions and traction to help secure the box.
Use the tape measure to centre the box on the truck bed, leaving enough clearance to allow the tool box cover to be opened fully.
Apply grease to the bolt threads. Attach the mounting clamp as an anchor attached to the bed rails. Slide a washer on the first 5/16-18 by 2 1/4 hex head bolt and slide it through the mounting clamp and the slot in the tool box at the driver's side front end of the truck bed. Use a ratchet to tighten.
Work clockwise around the tool box until all four fasteners have been installed.
Check that the truck box cover properly latches after the box is bolted to the truck bed in four places.
Tips and warnings
- Read and follow manufacturer's installation instructions. For proper installation of your tool box in a pickup truck with a plastic drop-in bed liner, the liner may need to be drilled, cut or trimmed. Check tightness of the clamps periodically to ensure proper attachment. Use paint on drill holes to prevent oxidation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for