Dry ice is used for a variety of reasons. It can be used to keep items cool, in science experiments and to create a fog effect. When handling dry ice, you must always take safety precautions. Wear protective gloves and eyewear so the dry ice doesn't burn your skin or get in your eyes. Even with protective gear, accidents may happen. If you find you've been burnt with dry ice, follow a few simple procedures as quickly as possible to treat the dry ice burn.
Soak the area burnt by dry ice with tepid water. Continue to flush the area for several minutes.
Blot the area with a clean cotton cloth. Check your skin to assess the extent of the burn. If you have blistering, see a doctor right away. If the skin is just red, proceed to the next step.
Apply antibiotic ointment liberally to the burnt area.
Lay a gauze bandage over the burn that has been treated with the antibiotic ointment. Make sure the bandage extends beyond the outer edges of the burn.
Affix the gauze bandage to your skin using medical tape.
Keep your burn covered to protect the burn from getting dirty or being injured.
Refrain from picking up dry ice until you have protective gloves to keep your skin from getting burnt.
Tips and warnings
- Keep your burn covered to protect the burn from getting dirty or being injured.
- Refrain from picking up dry ice until you have protective gloves to keep your skin from getting burnt.
Things you need
- Clean cloths
- Antibiotic ointment
- Gauze bandages
- Medical tape