An internal memory card reader is a device used to read memory cards directly from your computer. It allows you to insert almost any type of memory card right into the computer and open the files inside. Without an internal card reader, you have to plug a USB cable from the camera/video camera/cell phone into your computer. Internal memory card readers only work with desktop computers, not laptops. Installing one of these devices requires you to have some computer hardware knowledge.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Internal memory card reader
Power off your computer and remove the power cord. Touch something metal (not your computer) to discharge any static electricity.
Unscrew the screws holding the side panel on and slide off the panel to expose the computer's inside components. Remove the front panel of the computer with a screwdriver.
Slide the memory card reader into an empty drive bay on the front of your computer.
Attach the small cables onto the memory card reader and connect them to the matching ports on the motherboard. Consult the manual for this step, since card readers and computers differ in regard to placement.
Secure the internal card reader with the screws that came with it.
Slide the computer panel and front panel back onto the computer. Secure it with screws.
Plug the computer back in and power it on. Wait for the computer to recognise the new hardware and automatically install the drivers.
Tips and warnings
- Some internal memory card readers have a USB plug or some other type of connection, so consult your manual if you have questions.
- Do not place your computer on a carpet while you are touching the components inside.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for