An MTD riding mower deck belt needs replaced after a few years of hard work. Replacing the belt is fairly simple as long as the instructions are followed correctly. If they are not followed correctly, the deck may not work properly, and even worse, the machine may become a dangerous machine to operate that may hurt you or someone else. As always, read your owner's manual to obtain all the information you need to be safe.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- New deck belt
Push the deck adjuster into the lowest height possible. This will make it easier to replace the belt.
Tap the screws located around the belt. Once you tap on them, the screws will loosen. These screws keep the blade in place.
Pull the belt keeper rod off the belt. This is another piece that keeps the belt intact.
Loosen the idler pulley screws if you have a 42-inch mower. All other size decks can skip this step.
Pull the deck belt off the pulleys smoothly. Be sure not to pinch your hands between the belt and pulley.
Wrap the new belt around the three outside pulleys. One more pulley is located in the middle of the other pulleys. Pull the belt around the inside part of the pulley.
Place the belt keeper rod over the belt and tighten the idler pulley screws if you have a 42-inch mower.
Tips and warnings
- You will not need any tools to replace the deck belt. MTD designed everything to be done with your hands.
- The mower must be turned off before working on the mower. If not, the mower can cause serious harm.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for