Bevelled tile, or tile with angular slants cut along the outer perimeter of its top, can create a pleasant texture that adds a little extra class to a tiled wall or floor. While bevelled tile is widely available on the market, it is possible to find just the right tile pattern, but without the bevel-cuts you want. The truly finicky might find the right bevelled tile, but not be happy with the angle of the bevel. Getting around these problems requires that you cut bevels into the tile yourself.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wet saw
- Safety goggles
Put the right blade onto your wet saw. Cutting bevels into porcelain tiles requires a specialised saw blade, as does cutting granite tile. Using the wrong blade for this job will, at a minimum, ruin the tiles. It may destroy the saw blade too.
Adjust the angle of the wet saw to the desired angle, such as 45 degrees for a typical, sharp and well-defined bevel.
Check the saw blade and the water-feed to make sure that everything is properly lubricated before you cut your first tile.
Slide the tile down the channel and against the saw blade. Once the tile is in contact, use steady, even pressure as the saw cuts away the edge of the tile at the desired angle.
Tips and warnings
- Glazed tiles are usually unsuitable for bevelling. If you cut a bevel edge into an already-glazed tile, you will only remove the colour from the area cut. This will leave behind a white or grey bevel edge, and probably ruin whatever design was on the tile. However, cutting the bevel onto the tile might create the design you want as well, but only with tiles of one solid colour. Cutting bevels into white tiles with a green glaze produces a green tile with white bordering, for example.
- Wear safety goggles at all times when cutting tiles with a wet saw.
- Be cautious and mind your fingers at all times when cutting tile with a wet saw.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for