How to Locate Lost War Bonds

Written by marsanne petty
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Locate Lost War Bonds
United States Department of Treasury (Department of Treasury Building image by dwight9592 from

War bonds, also called E bonds, were issued beginning May 1, 1941 by Henry Morgenthau, the Secretary of the Treasury. Sold in a variety of denominations, war bonds allowed Americans to feel like they had a stake in the war. Unfortunately, any bond issued at that time is no longer valid, because they hold their value for only 30 years. It is possible to locate lost war bonds for various reasons, however, such as obtaining a non-valid copy and getting the identifying information of who cashed them, if the bond ever was cashed.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Things you need

  • Person's name
  • Person's Social Security number

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    Determine whose name the war bond could have been issued to. You will also need that person's social security number (SSN) because bond records are indexed by SSN.

  2. 2

    Contact the Department of Savings Bonds, Parkersburg, West Virginia 26106-7012 with the name and SSN of the person in question.

  3. 3

    Request a Reissue Form (PDF 4000) and fill it out. War bonds will be reissued but cannot be cashed.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.