You can unlock and jailbreak your iPhone 3G without a SIM card. In the United States, Apple sells the iPhone through its Apple retail stores and through AT&T Wireless for exclusive use on AT&T Wireless's cellular network, but it is possible to use your iPhone on any GSM cellular network and download applications for your iPhone that are not available through Apple's App Store.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- iPhone data cable
- Wi-Fi Internet connection
Open the iTunes program on your computer. Find the menu bar located at the top of iTune's window and select "Check for Updates." iTunes asks you if you want to update your software to the most current version. Select "Update iTunes." If you are already using the most current version of iTunes, the software will indicate that no update is available.
Connect the USB end of your iPhone data cable to an open USB port on your computer. Attach the other end of the data cable to the port located on the bottom of your iPhone.
Press the round button on the bottom of your iPhone's screen and slide your finger as instructed to unlock your iPhone's screen. Press the "Settings" icon on your iPhone and then press the "General" option. Press the "About" option and make note of the version number of your iPhone's operating system. This information is located on the eighth line down under "Version."
Download the Blackra1n jailbreak utility (see Resources). You'll have the option of downloading several versions of the software, but make sure you download the version that corresponds to your iPhone's operating system version number from Step 3.
Open the Blackra1n program on your computer by clicking on the Blackra1n icon on your desktop. The Blackra1n opens a small box. Click where it says, "make it ra1n." Click "OK." Wait for approximately five minutes. Your iPhone will enter recovery mode, and then it will restart.
Press the new Blackra1n icon on your iPhone's screen. Make sure your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network to complete this step. Select "Cydia" and "Snow" packages on your iPhone. Wait approximately five minutes for the packages to download and install. The process is finished when your iPhone restarts.
Tips and warnings
- Press the new Cydia icon on your iPhone to download applications that are not available from Apple's App Store. Most of the apps available from Cydia are free of charge.
- After completing this process, you can purchase any SIM card from any cellular provider around the world and insert it into the slot at the top of your iPhone. This will allow your unlocked iPhone to work on different cellular providers.
- Back up all information on your iPhone before completing this process.
- This process effects your Apple warranty. Apple will not service any iPhone that has been jailbroken or unlocked.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for