A tuxedo jacket is a necessary style item for black-tie parties or events. But tuxedo jackets are not just for fancy affairs. You can dress down this stylish blazer with jeans or change your shirt and tie for a casual dinner date. From selecting the right fit to adding accessories, you can wear this men's wear staple for daytime and evening occasions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Various ties
- Dark denim
- Cowboy boots
- White or blue shirt
Identify your style. There are four types of tuxedo jackets: single-breasted, shawl-collar, double-breasted and white dinner jacket. For casual occasions, the double-breasted is less formal than the single-breasted jacket.
Find the perfect fit. To determine your jacket size, wrap a measuring tape around the broadest part of your chest. This measurement corresponds with the size you will wear in a tuxedo jacket.
Select the proper shirt. Wear a shirt that complements your jacket. For example, wear a white or light blue shirt with a navy blue tuxedo jacket. For the best shirt fit, tailor your tuxedo sleeves so that ½ inch of the shirt cuff is revealed.
Wear different ties with your tuxedo jacket. Choose a colourful bow tie, classic long tie or clip-on tie. For less formal occasions, long ties are appropriate. Select a bow tie with a butterfly shape for parties, balls and white tie events.
Pair your jacket with denim. Dress up your dark jeans with a black shirt and black tuxedo jacket for dinner dates or casual events. To transform your jacket from sophisticated to a Western look, wear jeans and an old pair of leather cowboy boots.
Choose the proper accessories. Cummerbunds and scarves add classic sartorial style to your tuxedo jacket. Add sparkle to your tuxedo jacket by wearing cufflinks, tie clips and a shirt adorned with colourful studs.
Tips and warnings
- For a casual evening event, select a tuxedo jacket with lapels in a contrasting colour.
- If want to upgrade your basic shawl-collar tuxedo to a more modern and versatile choice, select peak and notched collared jackets.
- Wear a cummerbund for additional colour. However, wear the accessory with the pleats facing downward.
- The best fitting tuxedo jacket drapes smoothly over your shoulder blades and chest. The jacket is too tight if you cannot comfortably cross your arms or raise your hands.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for