Polyester is a synthetic material that, in general, is simiple to wash and to care for. Oily stains on this fabric may easily set, however, if you don’t treat the stain properly. Whether the oil is motor oil, vegetable oil or baby oil, however, you can remove it from polyester material safely and effectively with cheap cleaners and little effort.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paper towels
- Liquid dish washing detergent
- Soft sponge
- Washing powder
Place paper towels on both sides of the oil stain on the polyester clothing. Press the towels to blot up excess oil.
Remove the soiled towels, and replace with fresh paper towels on one side of the stain. On the other side, pour liquid dishwashing detergent (hand washing detergent) completely over the entire oily area.
Rub the dishwashing detergent into the polyester material with your fingers or a soft sponge; don’t use anything that might snag the material.
Allow the dishwashing liquid to sit on the material for 5 to 15 minutes. Blot off the excess dish detergent with paper towels as suggested by Mrscleanusa.com.
Rinse the area beneath a faucet with warm running water.
Place the polyester clothing into your washing machine. Wash them in warm water with detergent. The oil should be completely removed by the end of the cycle; if not, treat again with dish detergent, and let it soak overnight.
Blot the oil stain with dry paper towels to remove as much excess oil as you can.
Pour dishwashing detergent onto a paper towel and rub this over the oil stain. Allow the detergent to sit on the stain for 5 minutes.
Blot it again with paper towels. Wet a sponge in clean, warm water, and use this to rinse the stained area. Blot it again with paper towels. You may need to repeat this procedure several times to fully remove the stain; let it air dry after.
Tips and warnings
- Air dry polyester items unless you are sure the oil stained is removed; dryer heat may set remaining stains.
- You can also try a shampoo for oily hair to remove oil from polyester materials. The procedure is the same as if were you were using dish detergent, but dish detergent is usually cheaper and is usually very effective.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for