Building a shelf for vinyl records can be an easy task using no tools. This type of shelf is easy to relocate and very sturdy. Its design allows for any type of wood and the addition of stain or paint, which must be applied prior to assembly.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3 wooden planks, 12" x 48"
- 4 standard breeze blocks, 6" x 8" x 16"
- 2 Basalite blocks, 2" x 8" x 16"
Place the two flat Basalite blocks longways (parallel to the wall) where you want your shelf to be. Measure the inside of the blocks to be exactly 13 inches apart. Place the first wooden plank on top of these. Both ends should have a 2-inch overhang.
Stand two breeze blocks upright on top of the first plank. Each block should be placed to the outside of the block underneath, measuring an interior distance of 28” apart. Ideally, the holes in the blocks should be facing outward; however, this is not a requirement and will not affect use. Lay another plank on top of these blocks and align it with the bottom plank. Again, there should be a 2-inch overhang on each side.
Stand the last two blocks upright on this plank and aligned with the inside of the bottom blocks. The interior distance should be 13 inches apart of the top two blocks. The direction of the holes in the blocks should be uniform, although this is not a requirement. Lay the last plank on top of these, making sure it is aligned with the others.
The top shelf should not be used for vinyl records or other heavy items. Its use should be limited to knick knacks or other light items. Use the bottom and middle shelves for album storage. These shelves should be able to hold a total of 275 to 300 vinyl albums.
Tips and warnings
- The shelf set can be dismantled in a minute and reassembled in minutes. If you desire the shelf to be “fixed,” drill a hole in the top of a plank and into the block. Then, using a Phillips screw tip, drill a 1 ½-inch concrete screw into the plank and block. This will “fix” the blocks to the planks, but will make the shelf unit less mobile.
- Do not use the top shelf to store anything heavy.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for