Scientists use petri dishes to cultivate bacteria for study. Petri dishes for home use are not very expensive; if you can't afford them or don't have access to a store that sells them, you can make your own petri dish using foil muffin tins and gelatin.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 4 envelopes plain gelatin
- 4 cups cold water
- 8 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp beef bouillon granules or 4 beef bouillon cubes
- Foil muffin cups
- Muffin pan
- Zip lock bags
Cook the gelatin. Mix the four envelopes of gelatin with four cups of cold water, 8 teaspoons of sugar, and the bouillon granules or cubes. Heat until boiling while stirring constantly.
Let the gelatin cool slightly. Put the muffin cups in a muffin pan and pour the gelatin solution into each cup until it is half full.
Refrigerate the muffin pan until the gelatin is solid.
Remove the cups from the pan, being careful not to touch the gelatin itself. Put the cups into plastic bags and refrigerate. Use the homemade petri dish within 3 days.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for