Transform boring metal lamp posts into decorative objects simply by adding hanging planter baskets. Fill the baskets with your favourite flower or vine to add splashes of colour to your yard or sidewalk. You can find all the materials you need at your local hardware store, including pre-made lamp post brackets and plant baskets designed especially for this purpose.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Ladder (optional)
- Lamp post brackets in the correct size for your lamp post
- Two hanging baskets
Decide how high on the lamppost you want to hang the planter baskets. Measure the circumference of the lamp post at this height using the measuring tape, climbing up on the ladder if necessary. Make a pencil mark at this spot.
Determine the diameter of the lamp post by dividing the circumference by 3.14 (the value of pi) on the calculator. Order lamp post brackets from your local hardware store to fit this diameter.
Attach the brackets to the place on the lamp post marked with the pencil, using the ladder if necessary. Follow the manufacturer's directions. Most brackets require a wrench to tighten the bolts in place.
Fill the plant baskets with the plants of your choice. Hearty flowering plants are a lovely choice, as are many varieties of hanging vines. Hang the plant baskets from either end of the metal brackets according to the manufacturer's instructions, climbing up on the ladder if necessary.
Tips and warnings
- Make sure the planter baskets do not exceed the recommended weight for the brackets. The bracket manufacturer's instructions should list the maximum weight.
- If you're thinking of hanging baskets from municipal lamp posts, make sure to clear your plans with your city council or other civic authority.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for