Making your own doll dress kit for yourself, gift giving, or selling purposes is a fun project that is easily accomplished. With today's craft market, compiling a professional-looking doll dress kit is simple because so many necessary components are readily available for wholesale or retail purchase. If you're making doll dress kits to sell, make sure to figure in the cost of each part of the kit to add to the price of the doll kits to cover expenses incurred putting together the dress kits.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Copy of pattern
- Pattern instructions
- Colour photo of finished doll dress
- Plastic zipper bags, 1-gallon size
- Fabric or pre-cut doll dress pieces
- Lace or trim
- Buttons or snaps
- Plastic zipper bags, sandwich-size or jewellery-size
- Thread (optional)
- Needle (optional)
- Straight pins (optional)
- Cardstock square, 2-inch x 2-inch (optional)
- Paper tape measure (optional)
- Foil needle threader (optional)
Design or utilise a free pattern that is legally reproduced for inclusion in your doll dress kits. Many free doll dress patterns are available online, but are copyrighted and cannot be reproduced and sold. Place a copy of your pattern with complete instructions into a plastic, gallon-sized zipper bag. Instructions providing a photo tutorial are popular with doll crafters. Be sure to clearly label your pattern with the doll size the doll dress will fit.
Provide a colour photograph of a finished doll dress that used the pattern included in the doll dress kit. Doll dress enthusiasts appreciate being able to see an example of the final product and if they don't understand a portion of the dress instructions, often they can figure their way through the difficulty with a visual representation of the doll dress.
Include the fabric necessary to cut the pattern pieces or provide pre-cut fabric pattern pieces in the plastic bag.
Provide any lace, trim, buttons, snaps or other dress embellishments required for the completion of the doll dress, in the correct measurements or increments, in the plastic bag. Enclose these smaller doll dress kit components in smaller zipper bags that are sandwich- or jewellery-sized, and place the smaller zipper bags into the larger zipper bag.
Provide a small spool of thread if desired for your doll dressmaker's convenience.
Place a needle and several straight pins through a two-inch by two-inch square piece of cardstock and enclose in a small zipper bag, if desired. Though most doll dress sewer's will possess these necessary sewing articles, it's nice to have an all-inclusive doll dress kit and might increase the popularity of your kit. Likewise, extras such as a paper tape measure or a lightweight, foil needle threader are nice bonuses. The more included in the kit, the happier the crafter will be as she or he can just grab the kit and go, instead of needing to locate the other necessities to complete the doll dress.
Tips and warnings
- If your doll dress pattern and/or dress kit utilises a style from a particular fashion era, it's interesting and educational to include brief information about the style, when it was worn, fabrics normally used, and the proper undergarments (if any) necessary for the wearing of the doll dress.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for