An English bulldog puppy's mouth helps it to learn all about its environment by chewing and licking. Unfortunately, your English bulldog puppy might also want to chew on you while exploring, as well. Bulldog mouths are quite powerful--even as puppies--and can inflict harm unintentionally. In order for your English bulldog to become a well-behaved adult, it needs to learn not to bite. Fortunately, there are a few ways in which to teach your bulldog puppy not to bite you or others.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Follow the lead of the English bulldog puppy's mother and siblings when they are bitten, suggests the-bulldog.com. When a puppy is bitten too hard by its sibling when playing, it gets up and walks away. If your puppy bites you while playing, do the same. This will teach your English bulldog pup that play stops when it uses its mouth on your skin.
Loudly say "ouch" or "ow" when the bulldog puppy bites you. Do not whine or wince, as your puppy may think you are still playing with it. In addition, stop playing with it and avoid interaction, such as petting, talking or even looking at the dog. Your behaviour will show the puppy that attention stops when it bites.
Give your English bulldog puppy a toy to chew on if it is nipping or pulling at your clothes, states the-bulldog.com. If it continues to display this undesirable behaviour, simply walk away. If you are playing with the puppy and its toy, continue the play if it only bites the toy, suggests thereviewdog.com. However, if it starts biting you as well, walk away and avoid interaction. This will teach your puppy it should only bite appropriate objects.
Reward your English bulldog puppy's non-biting behaviour. When your puppy starts to refrain from biting during situations in which it once did, give it a treat or praise as a reward. In addition, when your puppy plays calmly and doesn't bite, reward it then, as well.
Tips and warnings
- Consistency is key when teaching your English bulldog puppy not to bite. If you allow it to display this unwanted behaviour periodically, it will never fully understand that it is not supposed to bite, as you let it do so sometimes. Teach visitors or others in your household to do the same. One instance of regression can impede a long period of training.
- Avoid playing rough with your English bulldog puppy, as doing so could encourage biting behaviour. Moreover, do not play tug-of-war or any other aggressive games, as your puppy will likely want to bite during this time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for