The most common repair to a gas stove involves replacing the temperature control knobs. Do this when the knobs are sticking, making it difficult to use the burners, or when you can no longer read the temperature indicators on the dial. Most major appliance manufacturers have replacement knobs available for sale in hardware and home supply stores as well as through the manufacturer's own website, the best choice for an uncommon stove. Note the manufacturer and model number prior to shopping to ensure you obtain the correct knobs. Older stoves may require universal knobs made to fit any make and model.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cleaning agent
- Replacement knobs
Turn all burners to the off position before removing the old knobs. Grasp them with your fingers and pull to remove.
If the knobs are sticking due to an accumulation of food or grease, spray the base of the knob with window cleaner, oven cleaner or spray lubricant. Use the pair of pliers to grasp the knob at its base and pull off if it resists removal.
Take the replacement knobs and line them up with the stem. Push them on. In most cases, the knobs feature a D-shaped fitting and will only fit with proper alignment to the stem.
Pull out the rubber gasket around the stem to have the correct foundation for push-in style knobs, if necessary. Use the pliers to help with this task.
Test the knobs to ensure they access the ignition switch by turning each burner on. Adjust the gasket as necessary.
Tips and warnings
- Replacement knobs are available as original equipment manufacturer or universal parts depending on the age, make and model of your stove. Knobs for older or unusual brands of stoves will probably require the universal type.
- If your replacement knobs came with a temperature indicator ring permanently attached, this will help you line up the knob with the stem; the "off" position on the ring will be the top of the knob.
- Be careful when replacing knobs that you do not inadvertently turn on the ignition while you are working.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for