How to Treat Clorox Fume Exposure

Written by lynn burbeck
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Treat Clorox Fume Exposure
Use Clorox bleach with care to avoid dangerous fume exposure. (Cleaning materials image by TekinT from

Clorox bleach, otherwise known as sodium hypochlorite, is a potentially dangerous household chemical that can cause serious injuries when it is swallowed or inhaled in large quantities. To avoid Clorox fume exposure, individuals should always use Clorox bleach in well-ventilated areas and wear a protective face mask--particularly if they are using full strength bleach or working with Clorox for an extended period of time.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Know the signs of Clorox fume exposure so that you can get immediate medical attention if you've inhaled too much of the toxic cleaning agent. Symptoms of fume exposure include coughing, mouth and throat pain, a gagging sensation, chest pain and lower heartbeat.

  2. 2

    Go outside and breathe fresh air immediately after Clorox fume exposure.

  3. 3

    Call the National Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 and speak to an expert about your Clorox fume exposure. A representative will likely ask for details about the exposure and any symptoms you are currently experiencing so that they can either instruct you to go to the nearest hospital or give you instructions on how to treat the fume exposure yourself.

  4. 4

    Go to the hospital if the exposure was serious enough to warrant medical attention. In the emergency room, patients with fume exposure are often given oxygen or a breathing tube. The doctor may also order a bronchoscopy to look at the inside of the throat, oesophagus and lungs.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.