If you have an HP printer, you have most likely encountered the pop-ups that appear every time you try to print a document and an error occurs, or every time HP updates become available. Sometimes, however, these notifications appear a little too often. If these notifications bother you too much and you want to get rid of them, it can easily be done.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Click on "Start," and then "Control Panel." Select "Printers and Faxes" from the list.
Select the "File" menu and then "Server Properties." Click on the "Advanced" tab, and then uncheck the option for "Notify when remote documents are printed." Select "Ok" to save the changes you made.
Make sure that you are logged in as "Administrator" before you can continue disabling the "HP Solution Updates." When you are sure that you are logged in as "Administrator," click "Start" and then "All Programs." Look for "HP Product Assistant."
Select "View Events" to find out the current error messages being displayed. Click on the error message, and then under "If this event happens again...," select "Don't notify me again."
Install HP updates whenever they become available so the program does remind you to install updates every now and then. Click "Start," All Programs" and "HP Software Update." Select your HP product from the list shown and then the operating system your are using. Click on "Full Feature Software and Drivers," follow other on-screen instructions and wait for the update to complete. Reboot if necessary.
Uninstall the "HP Product Assistant" feature from your computer to completely get rid of the HP updates. Load your "Control Panel," and then select "Add or Remove Programs." Select "HP Software Tool," HP Update Tool" or something similar and then "Uninstall."
Tips and warnings
- Note that printer pop-ups keep you updated in case of paper jams, low ink warnings and other printer troubles. If you do not know how to identify and troubleshoot printer problems manually, it is best not to disable this feature.
- The "HP Solutions Update" is a feature that assists you whenever you encounter errors with your HP product. Disabling it will stop you from receiving technical assistance in case of errors.
- When uninstalling any HP-related software, make sure that you do not uninstall the driver of your HP printer. Without the driver, the printer will not be able to communicate with the computer, and therefore will not function.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for