Wooden boxes have multiple uses, from simple storage for nails or other woodworking items to serving as decorative home accessories. Build a hinged box from oak timber or an exotic wood and it can take on a whole new purpose as a safe haven for your prized possessions.
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 Pieces 2.5 x 10 x 30 cm (1 x 4 x 12 inch) wood
- Variable speed drill
- 1.6 mm (1/16 inch) wood-boring drill bit
- 2 Pieces of 2.5 x 11.25 x 10 cm (1 x 4.5 x 4 inch) wood
- Small box of finish nails
- 1 Piece 2.5 x 11.25 x 25 cm (1 x 4.5 x 10 inch) wood
- 1 Piece 2.5 x 16.25 x 30 cm (1 x 6.5 x 12 inch) wood
- 30 cm (12 inch) piano hinge with tacks
- Wood glue
Place the two pieces of 2.5 x 10 x 30 cm (1 x 4 x 12 inch) wood on a worktable. Drill pilot holes for the nails about 9.5 mm (3/8 inch) from the edge of three sides of each piece. Space the pilot holes about 5 cm (2 inches) apart. These are the front and back pieces of the box.
Apply glue to the 10 cm (4 inch) edges of the 2.5 x 11.25 x 10 cm (1 x 4.5 x 4 inch) wood pieces. Secure them through the drilled pilot holes to the ends of the 30 cm (12 inch) pieces with the finish nails to create a rectangular box.
Apply glue to the four edges of the 2.5 x 11.25 x 25 cm (1 x 4.5 x 10 inch) wood piece. Slip this piece between the other pieces to form the bottom of the box. Secure it through the pilot holes with the finish nails.
Turn the box so the opening is facing away from you. Put the 2.5 x 16.25 x 30 cm (1 x 6.5 x 12 inch) wood piece over the opening so it covers the opening completely.
Secure the piano hinge to the back of the box first with tacks. Then, secure it to the back edge of the top piece to create a hinged lid.
Tips and warnings
- Clean up excess glue immediately with a damp cloth.
- Fill the nail holes with wood putty, if desired.
- Line the inside of the box with felt, as this will help protect the contents.
- Do not leave dangerous tools unattended around children.
- Do not stain or paint the box without proper ventilation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for