One of most-used components on a Ford Escort is the braking system. The brake pads are intended to wear to prevent excessive wear on the wheel disks and hubs of the car. After replacing the brake pads on the Ford Escort, the brakes must be adjusted. The brake adjustment consists of bleeding the air that may have been trapped in the brake fluid system when the hoses were removed to facilitate brake pad replacement.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 24 inch bleed hose
- 3/8 inch wrench
- Quart jar with small amount of brake fluid
Connect a 24-inch rubber hose to the bleeder valve on the passenger side rear brake bleed valve. Submerge the other end of the hose into a quart jar with a small amount of brake fluid located in the bottom of the jar.
Have a second person pump the brake pedal three times and then push the pedal as far as possible. While brake pedal is held down, loosen the bleeder valve and allow any trapped air in the brake fluid system to be forced out.
Repeat this process until air bubbles are no longer seen bleeding into the quart jar. Tighten the bleed valve.
Connect the bleeder hose in the same manner to the driver's side rear brake bleed valve.
Have a second person pump the brakes three times and then hold brake pedal to the floor as far as it will go. Crack the bleed valve open and allow all trapped air within the brake fluid system to bleed into the jar. Tighten the brake bleed valve.
Refill the brake fluid reservoir with brake fluid, being careful not to overfill the system.
Drive the car for a short distance before getting into traffic and check for proper operation of brakes. Investigate any abnormal or unusual noises and repair as needed.
Tips and warnings
- Using a bleeder hose while bleeding the brake will aid in directing the brake fluid into the quart jar and help eliminate air from being sucked into the brake system.
- Ensure the brake fluid resevoir is checked and filled during the brake bleeding process.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for