Employers often ask employees to fill out a self evaluation form. This form is routinely used during the employee's annual review. The employer use the form to compare to his or her own evaluation of the employee. The self evaluation form is important because it is part of the review process, which can determine if the employee should receive a raise, bonus or promotion.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Fill out a spreadsheet with all the tasks you have successfully completed since your last evaluation. If you have never received an evaluation, concentrate on the tasks completed in the past year. This spreadsheet gives a good idea of what you have accomplished as an employee and provide the basis of determining what scores to give yourself in your self evaluation.
Fill out the self evaluation form that your employer has given you. Usually, these forms have either a rating scale with numbers such as one through five, or a scale with words such as below average, average and above average. The key is to fill out your form truthfully without being too modest or thinking too highly of your work. If you fill out the form with scores that are lower or higher than what you deserve, the evaluation may be far off from the evaluation the employer filled out.
Write in additional notes. Most self evaluation forms have areas for an employee to provide feedback. This is where you can refer to your spreadsheet created to put in some of the biggest tasks you have successfully completed throughout the year. This provide reasoning as to why you scored yourself the way you did in certain areas. Successfully completing a high-level of tasks should be reflected in your scores.
List how you will improve. If you have not done as well as you would have liked in the past year, your self evaluation should show that. Give yourself sub-par scores and you can still come out shining to an employer. The way to do that is to list actionable items to be taken to improve during the next year. In the notes section of the evaluation, list a plan. If you aren't sure how to improve, ask for a meeting to discuss with your employer how your skills can be used most effectively during the next year.
Tips and warnings
- Bring a copy of your self evaluation for yourself and the person who is reviewing you during the evaluation meeting.
- Employees can feel awkward about giving themselves high scores for each evaluation question. If your spreadsheet of completed task successfully shows you have been an excellent employee the past year your scores should show that. By showing your employer that you have done a good job you may be in line for additional compensation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for