Clown costumes can be fun to put together. If you have sewing skills, you can make a costume by using a pattern. But you can also create a costume by using simple craft skills and adding some fun touches to existing clothes.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Bright-coloured shirt
- Bright-coloured full short skirt
- Bright leggings or tights
- 2 bright handkerchiefs
- Small hat
- Fabric paint
- Fabric paint with glitter
- Big safey pins
- Knee-high socks
Find the right clothes:
Clown costumes, particularly those for birthday party clowns, should be fun and colourful. Find bright clothes by sorting through some of your own clothes (that you don't mind painting) or visit a local thrift shop. Clowns are lively, so they need clothes that they can move in. Stretchy tights and shirts or bigger, looser fitting clothes works better--but not so big that you can't move safely and comfortably.
Shoes: Create "clown" shoes using fabric paint and ribbon.
Other tips: Colours don't have to match. Stay away from black or brown. Pockets--every clown needs pockets!
Use fabric paint to create designs on your shirt and skirt. These can be circles, swirls, or flowers. Be creative and tie in the design to your "clown name--for example, daisies for "Daisy." Allow the paint to dry.
Lay a handkerchief flat. Fold it into a triangle. Take the ends and tie them together. Attach it to your skirt or shirt using a big safey pin, which creates a pocket where you can put some fun stuff like balloons.
Measure the amount of ribbon you need to wrap around your hat. Leave an extra 12 inches to allow a streamer. Tie a ribbon around the top of the hat, leaving six inches on each side to act as streamers--or tie it into a bow. Put a few drops of glue on the inside of the ribbon and press to attach it to the hat.
Draw colorfull designs with fabric paint on your shoes. Replace the shoelaces with bright-coloured laces or ribbon.
Add a bright-coloured wig, coloured knee highs, or tights to finish off the clown costume. Add white or colourful gloves. Cut off the fingertips so that you can more easily perform tasks such as typing balloons.
Put on your costume. Attach a wig to your head using hair clips. Practice turning the wig upside down. Your wig should not fall off. Do the same with your hat.
Tips and warnings
- Accessories make the costume. Add a cute umbrella, flower pin or make shoe covers that match your outfit. Other add-ons can include plastic necklaces or bracelets, as long as they don't impact movements. A bright-coloured petticoat or tutu under the skirt adds some fun.
- Girl clowns can use a "purse" to hide magic tricks or other clown tricks.
- Make-up tip: Use non-scented baby powder to set your make-up and keep it from smearing onto your clothes. Use a big powder puff and powder your entire face -- anywhere you have make-up. Then get a wet, cold wash cloth and place over your entire face. Press down lightly. This sets the powder and brings out the colours of your make-up.
- Always remember that clowns jump, move, bounce...so clothes need to be able to move with you, safely.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for