If your Xbox 360 is having trouble reading discs, your DVD laser may need some cleaning. It is common for dust and dirt to accumulate on the laser eye and cause disc read errors. A simple cleaning of the laser eye will bring your disc reader back up to working condition.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Torx No. 10 screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- Can of air
- Cotton swab
- Glass cleaner
Remove the DVD drive from the Xbox console. Disconnect the data and power cables to completely free the drive from the console.
Unscrew the two Torx screws on the back of the DVD drive with the Torx No. 10 screwdriver.
Unscrew the two Phillips screws on the top of the DVD drive with the Phillips screwdriver.
Remove the metal cover on the top of the DVD drive. You will find the laser lens in the interior of the drive.
Spray the laser lens with the can of air to remove surface dust and dirt. Be careful not to get too close or scratch the lens.
Dip the cotton swab in the glass cleaner and carefully rub the laser lens to further clean it. You can use any laser lens cleaner, glass cleaner, or even rubbing alcohol to clean the lens.
Use the dry end of the cotton swab to dry the laser lens. Do not scratch the lens with the cotton swab, as this can permanently damage the lens.
Tips and warnings
- If the problem persists after you have cleaned the lens, the laser might have died and you will need a replacement.
- Opening your Xbox 360 console and DVD drive will void your warranty.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for