Long grain rice can be a nice addition to a meal. If you are in a hurry, out of room on the stove or only have a microwave to cook with, you can cook your long grain rice in the microwave quickly and easily. Use brown rice to add whole grains to your meal, which are a good source of fibre and a heart healthy choice for your diet.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Microwave safe dish
- Long grain rice
- Measuring cup
- Margarine or butter (optional)
- Salt (optional)
Mix 1 cup of rice and 2-1/4 cups of water in a microwave safe dish. If desired, you can add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of margarine or butter to add flavour.
Cover the dish and cook the rice on high for a full 5 minutes or until the water is boiling.
Reset the microwave to 1/2 power or medium and cook the rice for 30 minutes. Use a fork to fluff the rice before serving.
Tips and warnings
- To vary the flavour of the rice, substitute water with juice or broth.
- The rice will be hot and the dish might burn you if removed immediately from the microwave. Use oven mits for removal and let the rice sit on the counter for a few minutes to cool before serving.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for