The rules governing amending or adding an addendum to a lease agreement are governed by the laws of the state in which the original rental contract was written. Specific elements are included in an addendum to a lease agreement to make it legally binding. Your interests are best served by including all necessary additions or changes in one addendum. Continually adding new addenda to a lease agreement renders the contractual relationship between the parties confusing and unnecessarily complicated.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Original lease agreement
- Written addendum to lease agreement
Identify the lease agreement being modified through the addendum in the initial paragraph of the document. Accomplish this by referring to the date of execution of the original lease agreement.
Insert each addition or change to the original lease in an individual paragraph in the addendum. Do not combine multiple changes in one paragraph. Separating the changes or alterations in this manner is necessary under contract law in the event that any one provision is deemed legally unenforceable. By taking this approach, you ensure that no other provision is struck down as unenforceable simply because of its location in the same clause as a legally inappropriate addition.
Include signature lines for the same parties that signed the initial lease agreement.
Sign the addendum in the same manner of execution of the original contract. For example, if the signatures on the initial agreement were notarised, notarise the signatures on the addendum.
Execute an original addendum for each of the parties to the initial lease agreement.
Attach the executed addendum to the original contract so that both documents are readily available if a question arises as to the legal agreement between the parties.
Tips and warnings
- Consider engaging the services of an experienced attorney to draft the lease addendum. The state and local bar associations both maintain directories of attorneys in specific practice areas. Contact information for these organisations is available through the American Bar Association:
- American Bar Association
- 321 N. Clark St.
- Chicago, IL 60654-7598
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for