Baby girls look adorable in sweet headbands and hair bows. Instead of spending the money on one or two headbands or bows, try making your own. With the same amount of money needed to purchase only a couple of headbands, you make several. Even better, you can make the headband or bow in the style and design you like. You can even match the hair accessories to different outfits.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1- to 2-yards stretchy lace
- Straight pin
- 1/4-inch Velcro squares
- Fabric glue
- 24-inches of grosgrain ribbon
Place the lace around your baby's head, forming a circle. Pull it, gently, to see at what length the band fits best.
Place a straight pin, very carefully, to hold the lace together at the spot where it fits best. This is easiest to do with children who are able to sit still. For younger children, use your fingers to pinch the length of lace together to mark the correct size. Remove the band from the child's head, and place a pin in the lace where your fingers are holding the band together.
Cut the lace where the straight pin is holding the band together. Lay the band out on a flat surface. On one end of the lace, place a dot of fabric glue to the outside of the band. Place one piece of the Velcro square onto the glue; press to adhere. Apply a dot of fabric glue to the inside of the other end of the lace band. Glue the other Velcro square to this end. The tiny Velcro squares can be purchased at any arts and crafts store (you can also purchase little snaps if you prefer).
Lay your ribbon out flat. Place a pencil in the middle of the ribbon. Fold the ribbon up, matching the ribbon ends--this will ensure the pencils "falls" to the very middle of the ribbon.
Tie the ribbon into a knot around the pencil. This will create a "loop" in the hair bow.
Tie the ribbon into a simple hair bow. Slide the ribbon off of the pencil (note the loop in the back of the bow). Cut off any excess ribbon.
Slide the loop of the hair bow onto the headband. Velcro shut the headband and adjust the bow. Place the headband onto your baby's head. Slide the bow across the headband so that it sits exactly where you want it to.
Tips and warnings
- Making your headband "detachable" and creating several different hair bows means you can change the colour/pattern of the bow placed on the headband. You can also choose to place a hair clip through the bow's loop and place only the bow in your baby's hair.
- Cut ends of grosgrain ribbon on an angle to help prevent fraying.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for