Cobweb mould is a fungal growth that appears on plants, mushrooms and even on bare areas of soil. It is characterised by a white or grey, fuzzy appearance on the surface of the soil or plant that very much resembles a cobweb. It is caused by contaminated soil or compost and thrives in high levels of humidity combined with high temperatures. Cobweb mould infestations are serious since the spores reproduce rapidly and will kill plants if not stopped.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Place the affected plant in a location where the temperature is lower than 18.3 degrees Celsius. Cobweb mould thrives in high temperatures and dies when temperatures drop lower than 18.3 degrees C. Place a thermometer in the area to measure the temperature accurately.
Lower the relative humidity level of the area until it is below 92 per cent. Place the affected plant in an indoor location, if it's not already, and turn on a dehumidifier. Allow the plant to sit in the location with the dehumidifier running until the cobweb mould disappears. Do not turn the humidity down lower than 92 per cent as it will negatively affect the plant. A hygrometer placed in the location will indicate the relative humidity level.
Increase the air circulation in the area where the cobweb mould is growing. If the mould is contained in a jar or plastic container, remove the lid and stop watering until the mould dies off. Turn on ceiling fans and open doors and windows in the area to let more air circulation in.
Apply a fungicide to the surface of non-edible, outdoor plants that are infected with cobweb mould. Spray the mould, as well as the plant stem and leaves with the fungicidal solution until they are saturated. Fungicides are not always effective at killing cobweb mould, but they will help to diminish it on outdoor plants where temperature and humidity cannot be easily controlled.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for