While the bulk of iTunes music requires payment for downloading, the iTunes service also has a collection of free songs, audio books, videos and podcasts available to users. To download songs for free from iTunes, you must have the software installed on your computer and an active Internet connection.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Internet connection
- iTunes software and account
Install iTunes on your computer if you do not already have the software. Go to iTunes.com and click the "Download iTunes" button on the top right section of the menu. Follow the directions given during installation to activate the software and set-up an iTunes account.
Open iTunes under your computer's start menu or using the shortcut on your desktop. On the left hand menu of the iTunes screen, click the "iTunes Store" button. This will load the iTunes store in your iTunes browser.
Click the "Music" tab on the top of the iTunes browser window under the iTunes store. Locate the "Music Quick Links" menu to the left on your screen. Click on the "Free On iTunes" link to proceed.
Scroll through the free download selections under the Free On iTunes page until you find a selection you wish to download. Click on the "free" button below the selection. You may be prompted to enter your iTunes account ID and password or prompted to create an iTunes account if you have not already done so.
Wait as the selection you have chosen downloads to your computer. This will take only a minute or two on a high speed Internet connection if you are downloading a song.
Your iTunes free song selection should now be downloaded to your computer. Click on the "Music" link on the left menu of your iTunes browser to find the downloaded file and play it on your computer.
How to Download Songs for Free From iTunes
Tips and warnings
- Some free iTunes song downloads are not located in the "Free On iTunes" section of the iTunes store. Do a search on your favourite search engine for free iTunes song downloads for sites that list hidden or exclusive free song downloads.
- If you are using iTunes on a computer with only a dial-up Internet connection, downloading songs may take significantly more time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for