Many write essays and blogs to supplement their income. Others do this full-time and earn enough to support themselves and their families. It is important for a writer who wants to make money this way to carefully consider the many steps required.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
List topics you know a lot about or enjoy researching. These can be the primary topics for your blog. They may also serve as ideas for essays.
Choose a blog topic you want to write about. Create a blog about that topic. It takes time to build a following, so have a lot of content available. Try to have a minimum of 10 articles stockpiled when you begin your blog.
Post ads to earn revenue. You can either post banners or use a service like Adsense that posts small text ads next to your posts. It is simple to open an Adsense account through Google. You can also use sources such as AdBrite, Clicksor and Yahoo Publisher Network. These options will set up a passive income revenue stream. This means that you will earn money on page views for items you created in the past. Over time, this can become enough money to support yourself, with only basic upkeep to the blogs.
Write for a site that pays per post. Several blogging sites want writers to regularly cover their blogs for them and are willing to pay per post. You give up your passive income revenue stream when you do this, but you can earn money right away. It is a good solution while you are waiting for your personal blogs to build an audience.
Find an essay site with which you are comfortable. Several will take opinion essays or short essays on specific topics for upfront pay. Once you find a site you like, look for the contact information and find out how to apply to write for them.
Diversify your income streams when you are writing. This is important in building economic stability as a freelancer. Try to find at least three different sites for your work. That way you will still have income if one site should cut back on your work or shut down completely.
Tips and warnings
- It does take time to build an audience, but you can gain followers by commenting on other blogs and holding contests. As your reader base grows, so will your profits. Thus, it is important to really promote your work.
- Several essay sites will sell your writing directly to students, who then submit them for class credit. Thus, be sure you understand the workings of the sites you are working for and avoid those you feel are ethically wrong.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for