MoneyGram is a service that lets users send money to friends, family or businesses throughout the world. MoneyGram users who wish to send money can use a credit card or debit card, and recipients can pick up cash at MoneyGram offices or associated banks. Through the company's website, users can send a MoneyGram online.
Things you need
Use the online MoneyGram office location service to determine where the receiver can pick up the money (see References). Check the "Receive Money" option to limit the search to offices that allow users to pick up MoneyGrams.
Use the "Estimate your transfer cost" link on the MoneyGram Home page (see References) to determine your fee for sending a MoneyGram online. As of November 2013, MoneyGram will let you send up to £649.99 at one time online, but you can send up to the sterling equivalent of $10,000 at an agent's location. The fee percentage varies based on the amount you are sending and the level of service you choose. The percentage goes down if you send a higher amount.
Click on the "Send Money" link on the MoneyGram Home page (see Resources). Click on the "Send Online" link on the next page. Tell the system where you are sending the money, the receiving option and the cash amount on the next page.
View the MoneyGram fee estimates on the next page. Click the "Next" button.
Log in if you have an existing account or enter an e-mail address if you do not have an account. Enter your personal information, the receiver's name and location, and the transaction information on the next page. You may pay for the service with a UK issued credit or debit card. Verify the information on the Review Transaction page.
Complete the identity verification. The company may call you to ask additional verification questions.
Finish setting up your online MoneyGram account. You will then obtain a reference number for your transaction. Give that number to the person who will receive your money. The staff at the MoneyGram receiving office will ask the receiver for the number as a security measure. Instruct the receiver to take a driver's license, passport or other personal identification when picking up the MoneyGram.
- Safeguard all information related to the MoneyGram. Some countries may not ask the receiver for the reference number or for identification. Give only the receiver the reference number and other details. Avoid sending a MoneyGram to someone you do not know. Fraud artists sometimes use MoneyGram to perpetrate scams. Local rules or bank holidays days in other countries may delay your MoneyGram. Plan accordingly.
Tips and Warnings
- Safeguard all information related to the MoneyGram. Some countries may not ask the receiver for the reference number or for identification.
- Give only the receiver the reference number and other details.
- Avoid sending a MoneyGram to someone you do not know. Fraud artists sometimes use MoneyGram to perpetrate scams.
- Local rules or bank holidays days in other countries may delay your MoneyGram. Plan accordingly.
Things you need
- Credit card
- Bank-account information