The VAT registration number is only required for European businesses that make in excess of £68,000 ($100,000) annually selling non-exempt goods and services. This unique identifier is not required for smaller businesses, but can help with certain tax-related processes and benefits. The VAT is also a requirement of many businesses as a condition of purchasing from them or conducting other business to business interactions. Businesses in the United Kingdom can apply for the VAT online, which greatly simplifies the process and virtually guarantees proper submission and less delays.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Internet connection
- HM Revenue and Customs registration number
Navigate to the HM Revenue and Customs home page (see Resources).
Choose the proper registration type and follow the onscreen instructions to register a new user. The registration number will arrive within one week by regular mail.
Navigate to the VAT registration log in page (see Resources) and enter the registration number received in the mail.
Fill in the required information and follow the onscreen prompts to file the required VAT forms. Submit the request once the information has been verified.
Account for the transactions that occur from the time of the application until the VAT registration number is issued.
Tips and warnings
- The HM Revenue and Customs office usually processes around 70 per cent of applications within 12 working days and the large majority are processed within one month of the initial application.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for