Snuggle up in bed and wrap your body in the bedding. Now imagine that your bedsheets are stiff and uncomfortable. This is a scenario many people face as they go to sleep each night. Don't wait another day to do something about your stiff sheets. Adopt a few good care habits for your bedsheets, and they should soften up a bit. Then, enjoy a luxurious night's sleep in your soft and comfortable bed.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Fabric softener or dryer sheets
- 1/2 cup salt or vinegar
Wash your sheets before using them. Sheets soften after they are washed and usually soften even more after each washing. Texas A&M University advises you wash sheets every week in hot water.
Dry your sheets in the clothes dryer on the highest heat setting. Sheets dried in the dryer are usually softer than sheets that are hung on a line to dry.
Use liquid fabric softener in the washing machine or a fabric softener sheet in the dryer but not both. Fabric softener will help keep your sheets soft, but overusing it can reduce the life of sheets and other fabrics.
Add 1/2 a cup of salt when washing your sheets or a 1/2 cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle. These home remedies are often used to soften laundry.
Tips and warnings
- Select a 100 per cent cotton sheet set, which is generally softer than polyester blends.
- Rotate sheet sets so they will last longer and not wear out as quickly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for