Every Windows Hotmail account has a unique e-mail address and user name. Since e-mail is a virtual mailbox, an e-mail address represents the specific location mail is sent to and a user name serves as the name on your mailbox. When sending an e-mail the user name identifies you to the recipient. Changing a user name on a Hotmail account is quick, simple process that can be completed in minutes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Log in to your Hotmail account using your existing user name and password. You will be on Hotmail's home page. The left side of the page highlights your e-mail options, and the right side details your profile. Here is where you will see hyperlinks that allow you to modify your account.
Click on "Edit Profile." You are now on the Details section of your account. From here you will be able to add/modify your personal settings including social networks, work and education history, and contact information.
Click the "Edit" link below your current user name.
Fill in both the first and last name fields. Click "Save" to store your changes, and you will be directed back to the Details page. Your user name has now been updated.
Tips and warnings
- You can change other features of your account aside from your user name by clicking the "Account" link at the bottom of the page. This page also allows you to set up or modify additional account information which include changing your password and setting up parental controls.
- Windows Hotmail requires that you fill out both the first name and last name fields when either choosing a user name or changing it. While your first name will always be listed as public information, you have the option whether or not to not share your last name with anyone except those who you choose to view your profile.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for