It is convenient to have many pastry bags on hand when decorating a cake. Each bag can be used for a different colour icing, without needing to wash out pastry bags while working. A simple and inexpensive way to make your own pastry bags is to use heavy-duty plastic food storage bags. After using, zip them closed for storing in the refrigerator or just throw them away.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Heavy-duty food storage bags
- Piping nozzle
Select a heavy-duty plastic food storage bag. Freezer bags are especially strong and secure. Use a larger bag if piping a lot of icing. Small snack or sandwich bags are good for smaller amounts of frosting.
Cut a small hole in one of the bottom corners of the bag. Slip your piping nozzle inside the bag. The tip of the nozzle should extend approximately 1/2 inch from the hole. Cut a slightly larger hole if necessary. If making more than one pastry bag, use this first one as a template for the other pastry bags.
Put icing inside the pasty bag. Squeeze air out of the bag. For the neatest job, seal the bag before piping by zipping it closed.
Tips and warnings
- Do not make the hole in the pastry bag larger than necessary or the nozzle may slip out while piping icing.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for