Head collars are a relatively new brand of collar for a dog. Instead of strapping around a dog's neck, these collars actually go up over a dog's nose as well and act like a horse's halter. Head collars give a dog walker greater control over the dog but also come with some additional considerations. You can put a Halti head collar on your dog and use it without any difficulty.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Halti head collar
- Halti link
Order a head collar that fits your dog. For the head collar to function properly, it must fit your dog appropriately. Sizes range from small to extra large and easily can be measured based on dog breed and weight.
Slip the smaller loop around your dog's muzzle. This part of the Halti head collar has a control that also enables it to work as a muzzle; if you have a dog that is prone to barking at people it sees during a walk, tighten this to control the dog's mouth.
Draw the longer strap around the back of your dog's head and latch it. Make sure it's loose enough that it's not hurting the dog or cutting off circulation.
Attach the Halti link that came with your head collar. This piece hooks to the metal loop under the dog's chin and runs down to the dog's existing collar to help keep the head collar secure.
Attach your leash to the metal loop under the dog's chin and walk as normal. This leash position gives you greater leverage and control over the dog's head and allows you to guide and stop the dog more quickly and easily.
Tips and warnings
- Use head collars on dogs that are particularly aggressive pullers or if you are very small and need more leverage.
- Head collars are also valuable tools for training dogs for performance or guidance.
- Because a head collar gives the dog walker more leverage, it can be too strong if it's used incorrectly. Do not yank on the head collar as this could injure the dog.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for