The iPhone is able to increase its capabilities through the addition of “apps” that run on it like software does on a computer. You can control the playback of a Blu-ray movie on a PS3 by using a video playback app on the iPhone that has been specifically designed for particular Blu-ray titles. The video playback app will let you use the iPhone wirelessly to control the movie as it plays on the PS3.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Video playback-compatible iPhone app
- Video playback-compatible Blu-ray disc
- Wireless home network
Wake up the iPhone by pressing the “Sleep/Wake” button at the top. Swipe the slider to the right to go to the "Home" screen. Tap the “App store” app.
Tap the “Search” icon at the bottom of the “App store” app. Enter the name of a video playback app like “pocket BLU” into the "Search" column. Tap the name of the video playback app when it appears in the list below the "Search" column.
Tap on the “Install” icon. Enter your password into the “Password” column that pops up on the screen. Wait as the iPhone returns to the "Home" screen and downloads the free video playback app.
Turn on the PS3. Insert a video playback-compatible Blu-ray disc into the slot at the front of the PS3. Wait as the PS3 pulls the Blu-ray disc into the slot and starts to play it.
Tap on the video playback app on the iPhone. Wait as the video playback app recognises and connects to the PS3. Use the controls on the video playback app’s remote control panel to control the playback of the Blu-ray disc that is playing on the PS3.
Quit the video playback app when done. Eject the Blu-ray disc and turn off the PS3.
Tips and warnings
- A fast wireless home network will cut down on any lag time between issuing a command on the iPhone and seeing it go into effect on the PS3.
- Both the iPhone and the PS3 must be on the same home network in order to work together.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for