Melamine is a strong and lightweight thermosetting plastic. It is commonly used to make dinnerware and crockery as well as floor tiles and counter tops. Melamine stains easily so it is best to keep it away from strong colours and substances. It can also melt on contact with heat so gentle cleaning is suitable for melamine.Avoid chlorine-based detergents for cleaning melamine since it can leave a film on it and cause rapid fading of the colour.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Dishwasher detergent (chlorine-free)
Fill the sink with water and add chlorine-free detergent to it, if you are cleaning melamine crockery.
Dampen the sponge and dab some chlorine-free detergent on it if you are cleaning melamine counter tops or cabinets.
Rub the melamine surface gently in a circular motion till the surface appears clean and spotless.
Rinse the dishes in clean water to remove the detergent thoroughly. If cleaning counter tops or cabinets, wipe the surface with the sponge rinsed in clean water. Repeat this several times till you are sure the surface is clean and free from detergent.
Allow the melamine crockery or surface to air dry or wipe with a clean dry cloth.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid using scouring pads or scrubbers since they can leave scratches on melamine surfaces.
- Do not use a dishwasher to clean melamine since the high temperatures can damage it over time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for