There was a time when nails indicated a person's social status. Women with well-manicured nails represented the upper crust of society, while short, uneven nails rested on the hands of the working class. That rule no longer applies today. With the advent of acrylic and gel nails, women from all levels of society can have beautiful nails. Acrylic nail enhancements are hard and corrosive to the natural nail; however, they cost less than gel nails. Gel nails are smoother and more flexible due to the fact they do not require primers or glues; therefore making them the better nail enhancement.
Things you need
Gel applicator brush
Small gel jar
Wash your hands with soap and water. Use a nailbrush or soft toothbrush to clean under the fingernail. Clean hands with a hand sanitiser to remove germs.
File the nails into the preferred shape. Remove the natural shine from the nails using a soft file. Do not file too hard, as you will damage your nails.
Immerse nails in warm soapy water for three minutes. Wash the surface of the nails, cleaning underneath the fingernails with a nail brush. Rinse the nail thoroughly and dry.
Push the cuticle back with an orange stick and remove excess cuticle on the nails. Remove oil from the nails with a nail preparation.
Add a small amount of gel onto a gel applicator brush. Keep one side of the applicator brush clean by wiping excess onto the edge of the gel jar.
Spread a thin layer of gel on the nail, starting in the centre of the nail and spreading the gel in the direction of the cuticle. Brush gel on the nail using the same brush strokes used to apply nail polish. Finish the nail tip by lightly brushing from cuticle to tip. Repeat this method on each nail.
Rest hands under the Ultraviolet (UV) light for three minutes to set the gel. Add another coating of gel and set for three minutes. (See References 3)
Remove hand from the UV light and wipe nails with a clean paper towel saturated with a nail cleanser. Apply the sealer and nail polish.
- Gel nail kits typically include nail preparation, sealer, and cleanser. You may apply UV gel to your natural nail or an artificial nail tip. If gel touches the sides of the cuticle, use a soft file to remove and buff smooth. Gel shrinks up to 20 per cent. To reduce shrinkage, apply three to four thin layers of gel.
Tips and Warnings
- Gel nail kits typically include nail preparation, sealer, and cleanser.
- You may apply UV gel to your natural nail or an artificial nail tip.
- If gel touches the sides of the cuticle, use a soft file to remove and buff smooth.
- Gel shrinks up to 20 per cent. To reduce shrinkage, apply three to four thin layers of gel.
Things you need
- Hand sanitiser
- Gel applicator brush
- Nail brush
- Nail polish
- Orange stick
- Nail preparation
- Paper towels
- Small gel jar
- UV gel
- UV light
- Nail cleanser