You can achieve a weed-free lawn, but you will need to treat the weeds and then the clover that seem to withstand any type of weed killer that you use. In some cases, the clover overpowers the grass and can choke the roots. When you remove clover from lawn grass, you may need to throw down some seed to fill in the grass. The clover appears in lawns as a bright, green patch and can make the lawn look uneven in height because of the way it grows.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Broad leaf herbicide
- Spray canister
Use fertiliser that is formulated specifically for spring lawn care to feed the lawn in the spring. In June, add an application of weed and feed, which will add more fertiliser to the lawn and kill weeds such as dandelions. The weed and feed is specially formulated with a weed killer and fertiliser for an all-in-one application process.
Use a broad leaf herbicide that is specially made for clover. The best treatment for a lawn with clover after the initial weed and feed will be a liquid herbicide.
Use the herbicide spray canister. Mix the clover herbicide the way it directs on the package.
Spray the patches of clover throughout the lawn. Spraying the clover patches directly will work effectively because you've already treated the rest of the lawn with weed and feed.
Allow the herbicide to work. If any patches persist, you can pull those clover patches by hand, which will allow the grass around the area to start growing right away. It should take about two weeks to see the best results.
Plant some new grass seed after the clover patches are dead. You will have to remove the dead clover by hand and prep the soil by breaking the soil up and sowing the seeds.
Tips and warnings
- If you have small patches, you can avoid the expense of the herbicide and pull the small patches out by hand. Large patches will need herbicide -- it can take along time and a lot of work to pull all of it by hand.
- Keep the grass groomed at all times to keep the weeds from returning.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for