Learning how to make a child's table and chair can provide you with the opportunity to give a special and personalised gift to a little boy or girl in your life. Making such a gift is inexpensive and simple enough to work through, so next time you have a free weekend or two, consider getting crafty and surprising someone with a great little piece of furniture.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 piece of plywood (3/4 x 23 5/8 x 23 5/8 inches)
- 2 pieces of MDF (3/4 x 19 5/8 x 20 7/8 inches each)
- 2 pieces of MDF (3/4 X 18 ½ X 20 7/8 inches each)
- 1 piece of plywood (3/4 x 11 ¾ x 13 3/8 inches)
- 1 piece of MDF (3/4 X 11 ¾ X 27 ½ inches)
- 1 piece of MDF (3/4 X 11 ¾ X 13 inches)
- 2 pieces of plywood (3/4 x 10 3/8 x 13 inches)
- 1 ¼ inch 8-gauge wood screws
Draw a 4-by-8-foot sheet and design how you are going to cut each piece. If you are able, create interlocking leg parts to save wood.
Cut out all parts following the sizes needed in the list above, using a table saw.
Mark up your cut-out parts using a 2-inch radius template. This will curve your corners.
Use a jigsaw and cut out a circle in the back of your chair. Use a belt sander to smooth away any splinters.
Line up your pieces and mark which ones go together. Cut notches for the wood screws.
Assemble each piece with wood glue and then follow up with clamps until dry. When dry, install the wood screws at each joint. Screw them on the underside so they are not exposed.
Paint or add detailing if desired.
Tips and warnings
- Mark out every cut you intend to make, to save yourself error.
- Purchase extra wood beyond your measurements to ensure you have enough.
- Add your child's favourite colours and designs to your completed project.
- Always wear a mask and goggles when using power tools so you do not damage your eyes or lungs.
- Keep your work area properly lighted to stay safe and on course.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for