How to transfer property to a family member

Written by etch tabor | 13/05/2017
How to transfer property to a family member
You can transfer property from one family member to another with a quitclaim deed. (house image by kruszek from

If you own property that you want to hand off to a family member, then you will have to get what is known as a quitclaim deed. Under a quitclaim deed, the person giving the property is known as the granter. Meanwhile, the one gaining the property is the grantee. No warranties or guarantees are made about the property during the quitclaim deed process. The requirements for a quitclaim deed vary from state to state, but there are some general steps you should follow.

Hire an attorney to help make sure that you fill out and file the quitclaim deed properly. Although it is possible to file a quitclaim deed without a lawyer, the process can be confusing and time consuming. You can obtain a copy of the quitclaim deed from your attorney or online.

Write the names of the granter and the grantee on the quitclaim deed.

Write a legal description of the property. You will need more than just your address, including the property's specific dimensions.

Write in the county name where the property is located.

Enter the purchase price the grantee is paying for the property. If the property is a gift, enter a nominal monetary amount.

Find a notary public to notarise the deed.

Sign the document itself if you are the granter. In some jurisdictions, the grantee must also sign the deed as well to complete the transfer.

File the quitclaim deed with the land records office of the county where the property is located. Optionally, you can have your attorney file the document on your behalf.

Things you need

  • Notary public

Show MoreHide

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.