Mold and mildew on windows and windowsills looks unattractive and can harm your health. In order to remove mould and mildew from windows, always keep the area dry and routinely clean the windows to prevent the growth. Although removing mould and mildew seems like a relatively easy task, you must follow certain safety precautions to protect you and your family from dangerous health risks.
Put on a mask and gloves. You can inhale mould and mildew easily into your lungs, which can spark mould allergies.
Open or crack the windows to promote good air circulation.
Combine 1 part dish detergent with 1 part water. Use a scrub brush to loosen the mould and mildew from the window.
Combine 1 cup of bleach with 10 cups of water. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle, and spray it directly onto the mould and mildew.
Allow the solution to sit on the window for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse the windows using another spray bottle filled with clean water.
Dry the area with a washcloth, then point a fan directly onto the area to dry it completely. Mold thrives in warm and moist environments, so you need to dry the area thoroughly.
If you are worried that the bleach will fade the paint around your windows, combine a solution of rubbing alcohol and water using a 1 to 1 ratio.
Do not combine ammonia glass cleaners with bleach. This will create toxic fumes.
Tips and warnings
- If you are worried that the bleach will fade the paint around your windows, combine a solution of rubbing alcohol and water using a 1 to 1 ratio.
- Do not combine ammonia glass cleaners with bleach. This will create toxic fumes.
Things you need
- Face mask
- Rubber gloves
- Dish detergent
- Scrub brush
- 1 cup bleach
- Spray bottles
- Clean washcloths