Hang flower baskets from your patio or balcony eaves to add colour to outdoor spaces. If you have no suitable structures to hang the baskets from, consider placong hanging plant stakes in your landscape to hang the planters on. If you don't have any hanging baskets, you can make your own homemade baskets from an ordinary planter and the proper hardware. This also gives you more choice in design and colour compared to store bought versions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Grease pencil
- Split rings
- Potting mix
- Flower transplants
Choose a planter that is 12 to 16 inches in diameter and 10 to 12 inches deep. Use a plastic or wooden planter as opposed to clay or fibreglass. The planter must have drainage holes in the bottom.
Mark three points along the rim that are equidistant from each other. Use a grease pen or a pencil so you can wipe off the marks when you are done.
Drill a ½ inch hole in the side of the planter at each mark. Place the hole about 1 ½ inches down from the rim of the pot.
Slide a 2-inch diameter split ring through each hole. Attach the end of a 1 foot length of chain to each of the splits rings. The planter now has three lengths of chain connected to it.
Attach the other end of all three chains to a fourth split ring. Hang the flower basket from a hook by slipping this fourth split ring over the hook.
Fill the hanging basket to within 2 inches of the rim with a soilless potting mix. Soil-less mixes are lighter than soil mixes, making them a better choice for hanging baskets.
Plant flower transplants in the homemade basket. Space them at half the distance recommended on the plant tags.
Water the basket every one to two days. Water until the excess moisture begins dripping from the bottom of the planter to ensure the soil is evenly moist throughout.
Tips and warnings
- Use a plastic or wire basket as a planter instead. Attach the split rings and chains through the baskets mesh then line the basket with a sphagnum moss or coconut coir liner so it holds soil.
- If you wish to hang these baskets indoors, take them outside or place them in a sink for watering. Otherwise the water will drain all over your interior floor.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for