Children are always looking for new diversions and often ask for a playhouse of their own or a new home for their dolls. Buying these items at a store can be expensive, but using cardboard to make a three-dimensional house on your own is a practical way to make a fun, new toy that is inexpensive and an ideal way to reuse a material that's no longer needed.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Cardboard box
- Box cutter
- Paint or wrapping paper
Find a cardboard box that's the right size. For a dollhouse, a shipping box is the perfect size. You'll need an extra-large box, like one a stove or refrigerator was shipped in, for a clubhouse. You can get large boxes at warehouse stores and wherever large appliances are sold as the packaging materials are often thrown away.
Cut off the four flaps on the end of the box.
Paint the cardboard house or line it with paper.
Use a ruler to draw straight lines to form squares or rectangles for the cardboard house's windows and door.
Cut out the windows and door. Using a box cutter, carefully go over the lines you previously created. When cutting out the door, keep in mind that you will only have to cut out two sides of the rectangle you previously outlined---the top and one of the sides---if you want to make a door that opens and closes. If making a playhouse, cut out a small hole in the door so a child can stick her fingers in it to open and close it.
Tips and warnings
- If the house will be used for dolls you can paste wrapping paper with fun prints on the outside of the smaller-sized box. If the cardboard house is going to be used as a playhouse, it may be easier to paint the exterior.
- Use black chalkboard paint on the outside of the house so you or your child can draw new designs with chalk and later erase them whenever your child desires.
- Use coloured paper to paste details to the outside of the house. For example, green paper can line the bottom of it to look like grass.
- Do not let children use the box cutter to cut out the windows and door.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for