Mold comes in different textures and colours. The most common mould found in homes is black, green and grey. For years, bleach has been the common method of killing mould in homes. However, it is now known that bleach is not an effective way to kill mould. According to OSHA, "The use of biocides, such as chlorine bleach, is not recommended as a routine practice during mould remediation." Chlorine bleach is too diluted to permanently kill mould that has been absorbed into surfaces. Instead, two natural and effective substances to rid your home of grey mould are vinegar and borax. Before beginning the mould removal process, equip yourself with safety glasses, N-95 respirator and rubber gloves. Also, wear a long sleeve shirt and trousers during the process.
Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar.
Spray the grey mould with the white vinegar and allow to sit for about 30 minutes.
Wipe the mould away with a damp cloth. If necessary, scrub the area with vinegar and a scrub brush.
Allow the area to dry completely.
Mix 1 cup of borax with 1 gallon of water in a 5-gallon bucket.
Scrub the mould using a brush saturated in the borax-water mixture. Alternatively, sprinkle pure borax on the mould and let sit for five minutes. After the allotted time, scrub the area with a brush.
Wipe the area using a cloth dampened with the borax-water mixture.
Allow the area to air dry. There is no need to rinse the borax mixture from the area.
If the mould problem is greater than 10 square feet and you are experiencing mould-related health issues, such as respiratory problems, call in a professional who specialises in mould remediation.
Tips and warnings
- If the mould problem is greater than 10 square feet and you are experiencing mould-related health issues, such as respiratory problems, call in a professional who specialises in mould remediation.
Things you need
- Safety glasses
- N-95 respirator
- Rubber gloves
- Long sleeve shirt
- Spray bottle
- Scrub brush
- 5-gallon bucket