If you purchased your Eee PC 900/XP as soon as it was released, you may be missing out on the best performance your computer is capable of. BIOS upgrades since the Eee PC 900/XP was released make changes to the hardware allowing for better performance and increased battery life. Update the BIOS of your Eee PC to take advantage of these improvements.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- USB flash drive
Browse to the ASUS Support download page (see Resources section). Select "Eee Family," "Eee PC" and "Eee PC 900/XP" from the three drop-down menus on the right side of the screen. Click "Search."
Click the drop-down menu next to "Operating System" and select "WinXP." Click "Search." This will bring you to a new page showing all of the downloads currently available for the Eee PC 900 running Windows XP.
Click the plus sign next to "BIOS" to expand the category, then click the disk-shaped icon under the most recent BIOS that is available. Enter the text verification code and click "Submit." You may have to click "Yes" to a security warning in your web browser to continue. Save the file in the location of your choice.
Extract the downloaded zip file. Inside, you will find a file with a name like "900-ASUS-1006.ROM." Change the name of the file to "900.ROM" and copy it to the USB flash drive.
Restart the computer. When you see the "Eee" logo, press the "Alt" and "F2" keys simultaneously. This will start the Eee PC EZ-Flash utility, which will use the file on the USB flash drive to update the BIOS. When the process is complete, restart the computer.
Tips and warnings
- If you receive an error message when attempting to flash the BIOS of your Eee PC 900, confirm that the flash drive is formatted using the FAT32 or FAT16 file systems. The NTFS file system will not work for updating the BIOS of the Eee PC.
- In updating the BIOS of a computer, there is always a chance that the update will fail and render the computer inoperable. Always perform BIOS upgrades with the computer plugged into a power supply, and back up your important files before beginning.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for